Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Gonna catch ya ridin' dirty

Originally from March 20th, 2008 - Just a day after finally getting over the stomach party (see below if you dare):

"Listening to a BBC report about Seattle going 'Green'. Ah, Seattle, how I miss you. But I am getting used to the heat, though the worst is yet to come. Apparently though, Seattle has cooked the carbon books (according to the BBC). Must say that the editing is well done, I like the use of Jimmi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner. Bottom line: good start, but much to do.

So yesterday (19th) was Mouloud, or the birthday of the Prophet Mohamed. So the night before (the 18th, my sick night), following the last prayer of the day, around 8:30, as I was trying to get sleep, kids got on the mosque speaker and started 'singing' praises to Allah, but to me, maybe because I'm not truly islam educated like a marabou, these songs sounded more like random meandering melodies with one single lyric, "Allah." Sometimes pronounced Allie, Allallalla, Aaaaaaaalllllllaaaahhhhh, etc. I think every kid in the neighborhood had a turn, some even with back up singers who followed a call and response pattern. Later, the true marabous took over and the prayers (much more official sounding) continued till well after midnight.
Not as bad as last night (19th) though, when the dance club tracks lasted till 3AM. Two things to note from this night:

1) Apparently in Niger bumping "Catch me Ridin' Dirty" is a way of celebrating Mohamed's birthday. Though I'm sure the lyrics are merely background to the beat. Much like club goers in the states, nobody listend to or could understand what is being said. I mean what else could explain the popularity of 50 Cent? Definately a candidate for the most over-rated lyricist and one reason Hip-hop gets a bad name.


2) To get through the night with my sanity, I watched Weeds season 3. If you haven't watched, it's a great show, though not for parents or grandparents I imagine (disclaimer to those who may be reading this...). However, what I want to note is not the show itself, but the fact that in Season 3, Episode 14, when Celia goes to the bank, the guy standing behind her in line looks REALLY like me. I'm not kidding. Same hair cut, including cowlicks, and I have the SAME shirt. (maybe cross between me and my buddy Chris Appling, cause he has more facial hair than I'm capable of...)

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

CREEPY!!!!! It IS your shirt!

Post a Comment