Monday, February 4, 2008

Random Pictures and Peer Support

Been in Niamey for the last week doing some work. Came in because we started a Peer Support Network, which is basically a group of volunteers who have agreed to listen to other volunteer's problems in a confidential manner. Spent a couple days hammering out the organization of it and how it would actually work. Wrote up bylaws and all that good starting a thing stuff.



Also been doing a lot of work. It's crazy to have work to do now. I spent the last six months "working" on language skills and integration into my community, but didn't really have much to do in terms of papers to write or money to spend. Now that part of my experience here is starting and I find that my thoughts of two years where I had too much time on my hands is not the experience I'm going to have at all.


If I haven't explained it yet, Peace Corps has many different types of volunteers. Some live in the bush, without electricity, running water and lots of free time. Some live in the capital (very few of them) and have EVERYTHING available, though on a PC budget that means only as much as your money lasts. I live somewhere in between. I have electricity and running water (from my tap outside) and my time is definately not like bush time. I am BUSY. There are not enough hours in the day. Mostly I have packed my life with activities. Maybe to make sure I don't miss Kelsey to much and dwell on why I'm here? If I do a lot for this community it'll be worth it, right?

At the moment I have talked to a bunch of people in Gaya about starting a bunch of different projects and have spent a little time on many to figure out which will be worth pursuing. Now I am starting to focus in on a couple. I still have an idea to construct a girls dormitory, but that will be very dependant on the NGO I will work with and for the moment I'm happy to let them set the pace (a slow one) so I can focus on some other stuff.

I'm recording radio shows in Zarma. One or two thirty minute episodes a month.



I'm working on starting an English club and library at our community center. PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE GOOD CHILDREN'S/EARLIER to MID LEVEL ENGLISH BOOKS I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THEM. I'm trying to get my mom and dad to collect them for me while I figure out a way to get them shipped. Please e-mail me if you can help with this one.


I'm in the process of organizing student governments for my schools. Funny, but when I was in highschool I thought student government was a joke and just a popularity contest. Here, I can see a real use. To have an organized and motivated student body can really heklp me to do many smaller projects very easily. And with the organization, students can do their own projects and really, that's the idea, to increase the capacity of the local agents, not to do everything for them. My hope is to start four this year (two primary, two secondary) and involve good counterparts so that it can spread and grow from there. To leave behind a network of student organizations which can be self motivating would be a great accomplishment, so this has shifted into the number one goal position for the moment.




So being here for a week, with internet access, what did I do? Added a bunch of new pictures to my facebook photo albums (old ones, as I'm freeing up hard drive space at the moment). What didn't I do: write on my blog. Bad Jeremy, Bad. I'm thinking I need to do more journal and blog writting. My work with student govs should bring me into Niamey every couple of weeks for a while. And, Inshallah (God Willing), I will have some ways people in the states can help me and will post those as the time comes nearer.



Oh, one fun thing is that I was able to watch the Super Bowl last night. Kick off was 12:20 here and we stayed up to watch a, surprisingly, good football game. I thought the Patriots would wipe the field with New York. Way to go Giants defense. Fonda Kokari. Watched it at the Marine house next to the embassy. The Marines who are in charge of guarding the embassy (the five or so who coordinate with local security personel) live in a house right next door to the embassy. A really nice house. Big TV. Pool table. Bar. Awesome.... guess I chose the wrong service if I wanted ammenities. But not a one of them could speak a real lick of Zarma. French was even lacking so in that regard.... Different strokes I guess, eh? Ended up walking home afterward at 4:00AM because no taxis were out and about. Got to the Hostel at 5:15. Slept till 10. Then did errands and work around Niamey till now.

Back to Gaya tomorrow morning. Leaving for the bus station at 5AM.


1 comment:

Kelsey said...

It's about time you updated! The peer support thing sounds pretty cool....I talk to you all the time on the phone so I won't say too much here. Liked the pictures, you should put up some more Africa ones on Facebook. I miss you! I can't wait to see you!

Post a Comment