Monday, October 8, 2007

Part 1: Life as of Late







I’m going to make this post in two parts. Part one: What I’ve been up to since the last time I posted… a month ago maybe? A little less perhaps, but now that I’m “home” in Gaya access to the internet will be a little more consistent, provided the electricity doesn’t go, as it is prone to do. Part Two: The education system in Niger and Me.
Warning: this could take a while, get comfortable
Part One:
I’m officially a Peace Corps Volunteer.

I’ve even taken the oath all US government employees have to, and yes, I suppose I will defend the constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic, but I don’t see any major threats arising from Niger. Last Wednesday was a big day for Peace Corps Niger. We celebrated the 45 consecutive, uninterrupted year of service, which makes us one of, if not the, longest running programs. We also celebrated the swearing in of 40 new volunteers, yours truly included. The party was at the ambassador’s house. Sw-an-ky. I’m telling you, don’t do the Peace Corps, join the Foreign Service and become a big wig, get a big house and a yard and guards with machine guns….


The Director of Peace Corps was here, as in the head from DC. Both ceremonies involved many speeches, but at least at swear in, three of my fellow volunteers were speaking, one each in French, Hausa and Zarma, they were quite impressive. Oh, jumping pictures were the idea de jour. The one on the left is my closest group of friends here and the one on right is my fellow Dosso/Gaya region new volunteers. And because Mom and Dad will want a more constrained picture me and the training director. (dig the purple Bubu I had made….)
That was last week and since then I’ve moved down to my new home in Gaya. I’m actually writing this on my laptop sitting on my porch at night listening to the singing on the mosque loud speaker, which is conveniently right across the street and aimed straight at my house. They went all night last night, and I imagine they will again tonight. It’s Ramadan and I think they keep it up till people get up to eat around 4:30. Sometimes, as now, they let kids on it and they sing along together. Last night they were singing along, maybe twenty kids or so and the power went out. I could tell it came back on when they all started cheering and soon they were back at it.
Rule of Ramadan: No eating or drinking from sun up till sundown. This means eating at 4:30 or 5 in the morning and not again till 7pm. I think it’s ok to eat before or right after morning prayer and then the fast is broken before the last prayer of the day, followed by a big meal after the prayer. This is not an easy thing to do. I tried it for a day here and as usual got my light headed spells from when I don’t eat. Especially hard is not drinking water when it’s 100 plus degrees outside. Exception to the rule: People who need to eat or would die/greatly harm themselves (elderly, sick, pregnant/nursing women) and children under 12ish. Oh, and me. I just say I’m not strong enough, though I’m thinking I may try next year, but no promises.
Reward: Big party coming up in ten days. I can’t wait.
First thing I tackled with the new place was to get the yard straightened out. Spend a hot afternoon in the sun with a friend here weeding my concession. He’s fasting so I felt terrible that he was working so much, but we both made it sans a water break for about two hours (I chugged near a gallon after he left). Step two, Martha Stewart my water tap with a new drainage basin. Mom, you’d be proud of me. Step three, make a trash burning pit. Step four, and the one I’m really excited about, start a garden. So far it’s just dirt, water, and donkey crap all mixed together. A friend told me to get it mixed and the soil soft, wait for whatever is in the donkey dung to sprout, weed it and then I’m good to go. Any suggestions from any green thumbs out there?
So far I must say that this is pretty much what I imagined it would be last week before we left. I’m stumbling through every conversation, but I’m making my way with a combination of Zarma and French. I’ve made some new friends. Inherited many as well; the volunteer here before me was an extremely popular guy and everyone says they were his friend, I think I have some big shoes to fill. Things are coming along.
Today, the neighborhood kids discovered that I have moved in. The other three days I’ve been out of the house most of the day at the Inspection (where I work) and getting things straight with the electric company, seeing the town, what not. I think I had half the neighborhood over here at one point. Some I like, some are just pains in the ass. I made the mistake of giving candy to the neighbor’s kids yesterday, so today everyone was asking me for candy. Told them I ran out. Really I’m saving it because it is such a treat here. I think I’ll pass it out after Ramadan is over.
More to come. After these pictures.
New Water Basin Family Portrait from Hamdy A picture

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Were there supposed to be pictures? Slow internet, eh? Too bad...I wanted to see your purple BuBu really bad!! I have images of Barney in my head :). But hey, I'm sure it looked great! Miss you!

alifia said...

Jeremy! i was looking forward to purple bubu pictures too:O) the photos that are up are incredible! ...alicia your old housemate that was really sad when you moved out.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you look good in your purple bubu!

Kelsey said...

hahaha....now that's a picture. I will have to see it in person, but it looks cute. :) hahaha

Post a Comment